Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Hatastic Story!

This blog post is courtesy of the gorgeous, talented and inspirational Chloe from HATASTIC!




I'm absolutely thrilled to be taking part in SOUK in York on 5th March – so exciting, and I can’t wait to see all the other fabulous designers there will be on the day.

However, I can already hear you cry…so who or what is ‘Hatastic!’? Well it’s an eclectic range of unique handmade hats, fascinators and hair accessories inspired by the beautiful bits and bobs sourced from remnant boxes and junk shops.

I like to think they are elegant, witty and timeless - everything a hat (and a woman) should be!

So, in plainer English, I upcycle the rejected offcuts of fabric and leather, broken bits of jewellery, old bags, shoes, belts…pretty much anything that I think could have a new life in one of my pieces.

My unique debut collection ‘Recreation’ is the best example of this, as my 10 pieces collection was made out of old games! I first showed it at Alternative Fashion Week and was lucky enough to be featured in The Times and Cosmopolitan as a result. I then took it to Brighton Fashion Week, where a piece was filmed for a BBC show shown last Summer…all very exciting!

I have made a Ready to Wear collection of hairclips of Jigsaw Kirbys, Dice Kirby and Diamante Domino Hairclips which are really fun too.

The collection I will be bring to SOUK this year, is TOP SECRET, however, I can tell you that its’ pallet is sherbet and fresh, but it’s a romantic and rich look. They will be more hats than headpieces, so much more desirable for the race season…or even a Royal Wedding perhaps?! Each design is made from an old hat that’s shape is a little old fashioned or even if its’ damaged in some way, I would like to think I’ve given it a new lease of life…

If you have an old hat that you would like some ‘oomph’ put back in it, or you have some some old jewellery that you would like to incorporate into a new piece, do bring it along with your ideas, and we can discuss the many possibilities!

Look forward to seeing you!







Chloe and I would like to thank Juliet from  www.julietlemon.com for the fantastic photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment